An extension of Temple’s Student Success programs in Philadelphia, the new Academic Support Center provides study resources to the entire student community at Temple University Rome.
Our most popular program is Writing Tutoring, where a Temple Rome faculty member is available to provide feedback on written work. We offer help for all genres of writing, both academic and creative in nature. Students are invited to visit at any stage of the writing process, though we believe that early intervention is always the best intervention. Whether you’re struggling to brainstorm ideas, research, make an outline, or revise a rough draft, the Academic Support Center staff can provide the support you need.
We also provide consultations on resumes, cover letters, and personal statements. If you’re applying for an internship, job, scholarship or even graduate admission, the Academic Support Center can help you put forth the strongest possible application. Finally, Academic Coaching is also available, a service meant to improve students’ time management and study skills.
The Academic Support Center is located in the Library Annex, at the back of the library. You may stop by unannounced during Open Hours, or make an appointment in advance. Sessions typically last 30-45 minutes and students without appointments are seen on a first-come, first-served basis.
General Appointment Availability for Spring 2020
Given the recent closure of the Temple Rome campus, all Academic Support Center sessions will be held virtually (either via ZOOM or asynchronous feedback via e-mail) for the duration of the semester. All meetings will be scheduled by appointment only.
Appointments are generally available on the following days/times:
Monday – Thursday 9 AM – 3 PM EST (Philadelphia time)
Fridays 9 AM – 1 PM EST (Philadelphia time)
In addition to live appointments via ZOOM, it is also possible to request feedback via e-mail. If you choose this option, your submission will be reviewed and returned within 2-3 business days. If you have an urgent deadline, consider booking a live appointment via ZOOM instead.
MAKE YOUR APPOINTMENT ONLINE
Please complete the form below to book your online appointment. Appointments should be made at least 12 hours in advance to ensure confirmation.
MEET THE STAFF
Academic Support Center Coordinator, Writing Specialist
As Coordinator of the Academic Support Center, Fitzgerald works directly with the Chief Academic Officer, faculty, and students to develop new study support programs and resources at Temple Rome. With 5+ years of experience in international education and writing pedagogy, Fitzgerald believes strongly that the value of written communication skills transcends national, cultural, linguistic and disciplinary boundaries.
Originally from Harrison, NY, AJ Fitzgerald first came to Italy in 2016 as a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant. Before coming to Temple Rome, Fitzgerald worked for the Civitella Ranieri Foundation, an international arts residency program in Umbertide, Umbria.
Holding degrees in both Physics (B.A. 2011 – Brown University) and English (M.A. 2015 – University of California, Davis), Fitzgerald’s creative/research interests lie at the intersection of STEM and the humanities: the relationships between science, science policy, literature and other creative media, as well as the socio-cultural impacts of advancements in science and technology.
Fitzgerald has been working in the role of Academic Support Center Coordinator since September 2018.
ADDITIONAL ON-CAMPUS RESOURCES
ITALIAN HELP DESK
Temple Rome is pleased to collaborate with Istituto Gregorio VII, a nearby private university for interpreters and translators. Their students participate in Italian language courses as TAs and offer individual Italian tutoring to Temple Rome students.
For more information, please visit the Italian Help Desk page.
- You can search the entire TU Library catalog online (link here), including Temple Rome’s local holdings and a vast array of online journals.
- The TU Library maintains an extensive archive of research guides organized by subject. Browse research guides at this link
- Online peer tutoring sessions for MSOM 3101 are held weekly via WebEx. In Spring 2019, the most accessible session for TUR students meets every Tuesday from 5 – 9 PM CET (11 AM – 3 PM EST). Click here for more information.
- The Fox Video Vault contains educational videos on nearly every topic covered during your undergraduate business education. You can search the Vault’s catalog by course or topic at this link.
- Preparing for an exam in math or chemistry? The Student Success Center posts problem sets, solutions and instruction videos for select courses. To access these materials, click here.
- Can’t make the Writing Center’s Open Hours here in Rome? Try making a virtual appointment with the Student Success Center on Main Campus. Appointments last 45-50 minutes and can be made online here. Appointments must be made at least 24h in advance.
- Struggling to properly format your citations / Works Cited page? The Academic Support Center recommends Purdue OWL’s formatting and style guides.
- Additional study and writing tips, guidelines, and resources can be found on the Student Success Center’s Resources page.