An extension of Temple’s Student Success programs in Philadelphia, the new Academic Support Center provides study resources to the entire student community at Temple Rome.
Our most popular program is Writing Tutoring, where a TUR faculty member is available to provide feedback on written work. We offer help for all genres of writing, including academic research papers, cover letters, resumes, and creative projects. Students are invited to visit at any stage of the writing process, though we believe that early intervention is always the best intervention. Whether you’re struggling to brainstorm ideas, research, make an outline, or revise a rough draft, the Writing Center staff can help you.
Academic Coaching is also available, a service meant to improve students’ time management and study skills.
All Academic Support Services are held in the Library Annex. You may stop by unannounced during drop-in hours, or make an appointment in advance. Sessions last 20-40 minutes and students without appointments are seen on a first-come, first-served basis.
DROP-IN HOURS FOR SPRING 2019
Mondays 3.30 – 5.30 PM
Wednesdays 3.30 – 5.30 PM
Additional appointments are often available directly before/after drop-in hours, or on Tues/Thurs afternoons.
The Academic Support Center will be closed from Monday, April 8 through Wednesday, April 10.
ADDITIONAL DROP-IN HOURS FOR END-OF-TERM, SPRING 2019
Thu, April 11 3 – 7 PM
Tu, April 16 3.30 – 5.30 PM
Thu, April 18 3.30 – 5.30 PM
Tu, April 23 3.30 – 5.30 PM
These dates are in addition to regularly scheduled Drop-In Hours on Monday/Wednesday.
MAKE YOUR APPOINTMENT ONLINE
Please complete the online form to make your appointment.
Appointments should be made at least 24 hours in advance to ensure confirmation.
ABOUT THE STAFF
Academic Support Coordinator, Writing Specialist
Originally from Harrison, NY, AJ Fitzgerald first came to Italy in 2016 as a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant. Before coming to Temple, Fitzgerald worked for the Civitella Ranieri Foundation, an international artist residency in Umbertide, Umbria.
Holding degrees in both Physics (B.A. 2011 – Brown University) and English (M.A. 2015 – University of California, Davis), Fitzgerald’s creative/research interests lie at the intersection of STEM and the humanities: the relationships between science, science policy, literature and other creative media, as well as the socio-cultural impacts of advancements in science and technology.
As Academic Support Coordinator, Fitzgerald works directly with students in the Writing Center, and helps develop new study support programs and resources at Temple Rome. As Faculty, Fitzgerald teaches ENG 0802: Analytical Reading & Writing, as well as a University Seminar for TREY students.
Fitzgerald has been working in the Academic Support Center since September 2018.
ADDITIONAL ON-CAMPUS RESOURCES
ITALIAN HELP DESK
Temple Rome is pleased to collaborate with Istituto Gregorio VII, a nearby private university for interpreters and translators. Their students participate in Italian language courses as TAs and offer individual Italian tutoring to TUR students.
For more information, please visit the Italian Tutors page.
ENGINEERING TAs FOR SPRING 2019
- You can search the entire TU Library catalog online (link here), including Temple Rome’s local holdings and a vast array of online journals.
- The TU Library maintains an extensive archive of research guides organized by subject. Browse research guides at this link
- Online peer tutoring sessions for MSOM 3101 are held weekly via WebEx. In Spring 2019, the most accessible session for TUR students meets every Tuesday from 5 – 9 PM CET (11 AM – 3 PM EST). Click here for more information.
- The Fox Video Vault contains educational videos on nearly every topic covered during your undergraduate business education. You can search the Vault’s catalog by course or topic at this link.
- Preparing for an exam in math or chemistry? The Student Success Center posts problem sets, solutions and instruction videos for select courses. To access these materials, click here.
- Can’t make the Writing Center’s Drop-In Hours here in Rome? Try making a virtual appointment with the Student Success Center on Main Campus. Appointments last 45-50 minutes and can be made online here. Appointments must be made at least 24h in advance.
- Struggling to properly format your citations / Works Cited page? The Academic Support Center recommends Purdue OWL’s formatting and style guides.
- Additional study and writing tips, guidelines, and resources can be found on the Student Success Center’s Resources page.